“Vegas just wanted it more” – Dana White on UFC 178 being moved from Toronto
Those words have been ringing in the ears of Canadian MMA fans since White uttered them. With one brush-away comment, White both infuriated and perplexed the MMA fanbase of Canada’s largest city. The glib one-line explanation was immediately met with scorn and questions of what the “real” reason was.
But if it’s not the MGM Grand’s sudden urge to boot out their previously booked tenants for the day (rock act Kings of Leon), then what could be the impetus for the change? It may have more to do with hardball contract negotiations than anything to do with the whims of a Las Vegas casino.
The agreement between UFC and Canadian broadcast partner Sportsnet is coming to an end shortly and there has been no new agreement reached between the two parties. Sources within Sportsnet have told inthecage.ca that the UFC pulling the plug on the previously announced Toronto show (and the planned Montreal show in December) may be a result of Zuffa’s frustration at the lack of progress in negotiations.
Anyone who follows the UFC knows Zuffa’s penchant for strong-arm tactics during any sort of negotiations. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that they would pull events from Canada’s two largest and most profitable markets to send a message to their local broadcast partner?
What we know is that Sportsnet has just recently committed $5.2 billion over twelve years to become the exclusive home of the National Hockey League, home of Canada’s national pastime. The network obviously has high hopes for the agreement, but the immediate effect was a cash crunch with jobs lost across the platform. They may not have the immediate resources to pay what Zuffa feels they are worth as a broadcast property.
The NHL and UFC also go head-to-head in their traditional Saturday night slots. One would have to think that Rogers would prioritize their new multi-billion dollar acquisition far above UFC, which is still struggling to prove itself as more than a niche sport. Although one could argue that Rogers has enough broadcast outlets to accommodate both, consider that the cable giant is already reaching across all of their Sportsnet networks and CityTV to make sure the NHL gets the most exposure possible.
On the record, no one is talking. Host of Sportsnet’s “UFC Central”, Joe Ferraro, told inthecage.ca that “it’s an interesting theory but I don’t believe this was the case”. But other sources within the network insist the Sportsnet/UFC marriage is on the rocks. UFC Central’s senior producer Bob Torrens was let go in March, whether that was a sign of Sportsnet softening on UFC programming or just another of the cuts made in the wake of the NHL deal is unclear. From the UFC end, UFC Canada PR Director Steve Keogh recently left the company for a job with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Was it just a case of a career move, or did Keogh see the writing on the wall for UFC’s intentions in the Canadian market?
If the marriage between Rogers and Zuffa does end in divorce, what does that mean for UFC programming in Canada? Apparently Sportsnet’s arch-rivals in the space TSN have submitted a bid for the rights, as well as specialty cable channel The Fight Network. TSN has typically eschewed MMA programming in favour of fare that appeals to older demographics, their only current MMA offering is showing WSOF events on tape-delay. But with the recent change in going to five national feeds, they may be hungry for programming hours to fill those time slots.
The Fight Network would seem to be an ideal home for Zuffa, with combat sports being their entire raison d’etre and playing home to some of the most knowledgeable MMA minds in the country. But the network operates on essentially a shoestring budget and it’s not likely they could come up with a dollar figure that would please the UFC.
If Zuffa doesn’t find any pitch to their liking, they may choose to play the waiting game. Their Fight Pass digital subscription service continues to grow and the company may choose to direct viewers to watch events there until they are offered a broadcast deal that they deem worthy.
Whatever the issue and whatever the solution, the big losers are Canadian MMA fans. Instead of packing the ACC to watch their favourites compete, the only chance to see any UFC personality live this weekend is Joe Rogan’s stand-up comedy show in Toronto Friday night. Apparently no one told him how much Vegas wanted UFC 178 before he booked the show.


Great talking points and somewhere in there lies the truth, at least some of it.
Also consider a couple of other things…
– UFC 174 in Vancouver, attendance was an embarrassment. 12K with a seating capacity of 18K
– When the UFC announced Jones VS Gustafsson in Toronto a lot of fan grumbled, basically saying “what, those two agian?”
– TUF Nations finally, April 16…In Quebec City? In the middle of Habs playoffs? Numbers were soft
– Tom Wright, love the guy but is Dana happy with how he is handing Canada right now???
– Without GSP, there is currently no ‘super star’ promoting MMA in Canada these days, so we are slipping off the radar
Interesting points, Joe. I don’t feel the Vancouver attendance affected UFC’s decision on the Toronto and Montreal shows one way or the other. It’d be like blaming LA for tickets not sold in Chicago.
I also didn’t notice much grumbling about Jones-Gus 2 from Toronto fans. In fact, my experience was that people were more excited for the rematch than they were for the initial fight.
As far as Tom Wright goes, I would label his future with the UFC as “questionable”.
The GSP point is a fair one, but shows in Canada have done well without him previously and I think a good show would do well without him here in the future.
Pingback: MMA and UFC live news | MMA promotions in Ontario facing a double-edged sword -
Pingback: MMA promotions in Ontario facing a double-edged sword | MMA Bookmarks
Pingback: UFC Programming Possibly On The Move From Sportsnet | A Rouge Point
Pingback: UFC Programming Possibly On The Move Away From Sportsnet | A Rouge Point